admin
05/28/2022, 11:51 PM

Topic has 7 Posts

admin

admin
Administration
31 Posts
User since:

One of only three known examples of the “Eid Mar” aureus, celebrating the “liberation” of Rome after the bloody assassination of the dictator Julius Caesar on the Ides of March in 44BC is up for sale again at Numismatica Ars Classica auction taking a place on May 30, 2022.

The 44BC “Eid Mar” Roman gold Aureus
EID MAR Aureus. 42 BC. Numismatica Ars Classica

The present aureus has been known since at least 1932, when it was offered to the British Museum by Oscar Ravel, but the deleterious economic effects of the Great Depression and the recent end of the gold standard in Great Britain prevented its purchase by the museum at that time.

In 1953, Herbert Cahn discussed the coin in his presentation of “The Aureus of Brutus with EID MAR” at the Paris International Numismatic Congress. He also included it (Cahn 24a) in the corpus of 52 EID MAR coins published in Quaderni ticinesi in 1989 although Michael Crawford had questioned its authenticity in Roman Republican Coinage (1975). In the intervening years, any doubts have faded and even Michael Crawford confirmed its authenticity. The coin has been publicly displayed at the British Museum in the main gallery from 2010 to 2021.

The aureus comes to the block with an estimate of SFr750,000 (about 780,000 USD).

touvex

touvex
4 Posts
User since:

Awesome! I am sure the hammer price will go far beyond this estimate…

admin

admin
Administration
31 Posts
User since:
On 05/29/2022, 03:57 PM, touvex said:

Awesome! I am sure the hammer price will go far beyond this estimate…

Agree.

In meantime, we just published a new article about EID MAR coins — EID MAR: Brutus’ Famous & Rare Coin. 👈 Check it out!

touvex

touvex
4 Posts
User since:

Wow! The final hammer price was 2,200,000 CHF, or about $2,300,000 USD(+fees), a very large increase on its previous hammer prices of 120,000 CHF(about $92,000) at NAC 27 in 2004 and 230,000 CHF(about $226,500) at NAC 45 in 2008.

touvex

touvex
4 Posts
User since:

Yes, I read this story recently too and was shocked! Not sure about future of Roma Numismatics auction house after this. 🤔